PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END!!
Let me start by saying what we’re all thinking…. “April is hecking busy!!!”
It feels like we haven’t seen each other in weeks, and that is because we haven’t! Due to the strangeness of April scheduling this year, we haven’t had a regularly scheduled meeting since before spring break and this is a problem as we still have much to cover before the year’s end. To remedy this, the next meeting on Sunday, April 23rd, will be 2 hours from 4pm – 6pm. I know that this is not ideal and that some may have conflicts, but we need to do this. Therefore, please do you absolute best to plan ahead and to be there for all of it. This email will preview what we will cover so that you can be prepared. If you cannot make it to the whole thing, please let K. Lu know in advance as this is very important.
This Sunday’s meeting will follow this agenda, more or less:
- Quick re-introduction of everyone and our new brothers and their preferred pronouns
- A lengthy discussion on a project for next year
- Hosting district convention?
- Commissioning a new piece?
- Re-colonizing CSU?
- Or none of the above?
- National Convention
- Elections (bring your clickers or borrow a friend’s!)
- Update your contact info on KKY portal
- And possibly a brief workshop on strategic planning (if time allows)
Nominations (read me! even if you’re not interested in running):
We will be accepting nominations for elections (which will be held the following Sunday from noon-6pm). How nominations will work is we will open the floor for nominations of each position. The order of these positions will be called in order of election. This order is as follows:
- President (everyone is eligible except for members of the Epsilon Zeta class)
- Vice President (everyone except for Epsilon Zeta)
- Secretary (everyone is eligible)
- Treasurer (everyone is eligible)
- Historian (everyone is eligible)
- Music Chair (everyone is eligible)
- Service Chair (everyone is eligible)
- Brotherhood Chair (everyone is eligible)
You may nominate yourself or someone else may nominate you. You must be present to be nominated or you must notify Kristina if you wish to be nominated for a position beforehand if you cannot be there. The rules are #JustAcceptIt – meaning if you are nominated, we highly encourage you to accept the nomination even if you are not interested or on the fence; you will have a chance to decline the nomination again at the elections meeting.
If you are nominated, I will send you an email with detailed instructions on how to run a platform and how to prepare. If you are thinking of running for a position, talk to current or past holders of that chair or position and learn all that you can starting now. The more you learn from others beforehand, the stronger your platform will be and the transition to executive committee will be much easier for you and the chapter.
Again, elections will be held April 30th from noon to 6pm, please bring your clicker or borrow a friend’s. It is not likely that it will take the full six hours, but this meeting is crucial and can be lengthy; please block of your afternoon for this as it is MANDATORY. In order to even open the floor for elections, we must have quorum (which means 75% of the chapter present). You absolutely must get schedules adjusted so you can be there for the chapter, this has been on the calendar since the start of the semester, so no excuses such as work or prior commitments will be accepted.
Potential Project for Next Year!
For those of you who were not at retreat or convention, there are some awesome opportunities on the horizon for our chapter, if we choose to pursue them! These opportunities include hosting next year’s district convention, commissioning a new piece at CU, or re-colonizing the Kappa chapter at CSU (which has since been inactive). We talked at length about the pros and cons of these ideas at retreat; here
are the minutes from our meeting at retreat about the discussion. The short pros and cons list is as follows, be prepared to discuss more at the meeting so we can decided before the year is over.
Hosting 2018 MWD Convention:
- We could bring more district interaction out West!
- We have two members of the district council (Tate and Ahnika) that will be excellent liaisons
- The district counselors can provide excellent guidance to help us
- Will be cost neutral (district will reimburse)
- Would be a year-long planning effort (would assign a standing committee whose members would meet each week, sometimes twice a week)
- Our chapter is relatively inexperienced (Kristina is the only member to have been to more than one convention)
Commissioning a New Piece
- Leave another lasting impact on the CU College of Music
- Will require a lot of fundraising (we went in the red financially when we commissioned American Elegy)
- Relatively low effort (Nationals does most of the administrative work, we act as mentors)
- Growing the number of Kappa chapters in the West and expanding our district interaction
- We are not 100% sure that there is interest there in re-colonization
These are ideas that have been tossed around at convention and retreat; we by no means have to do any of the above. Be thinking about these ideas this week and come prepared with thoughts and questions. The goal will be to have chosen a project (or none) by the end of this meeting so we can aptly prepare as some are time-sensitive.
Deadline to RSVP to go with Alpha Iota will be May 13th (this date has been pushed back from May 1st). See this post
for more information.
Don’t forget to be practicing for recital on April 29th! Invite your friends and family! Facebook event page coming soon.
Update your contact info on the KKY portal
! Please make sure that your info is up to date.
Phew! That was a lot! Deep breath and be thinking of these things over the next week. Let K. Lu know of any conflicts you have or any questions. See you next week!