Hello Brothers! A lot has happened within the past couple weeks! We planned our retreat, started committee meetings, and voted in our newest member on the executive board!! (Hint: It’s Stazie) Can you believe we’re already a quarter of the way through the semester?!?! Good luck with midterms and stick in there! You can do it!!
- Shoutout to Boh for being born! ‘Kappa Kappa PsClap’
- Shoutout to Raechel for giving Gabi a granola bar when they were sick!
- Shoutout to Raechel, Conner, Jesse, and Lily for stenciling the cases for drumline!
- Shoutout to Sully for coming up and saying hi!
- Shoutout to everyone who came out to PsTuesday Golf!
- Shoutout to everyone who did the first reception!
- Shoutout to Gabi for last minute filling in for Spencer at CSI training!
- Shoutout to Nate and Brandon for doing t-shirt stuff for the band!
- Sign up for Communications and Outreach Committee!
- Internal communications
- Become aware of any and all events
- Planning brotherhood events, etc.
- Scott will take a poll for either online/in person
- Sign up for Alumni Relations Committee!
- There will be regular meetings after we elect a position
- Establishing alumni association
- Effectively communicating with alumni
- Bye Nate, hope you find your dad…
- We voted today and we’re Pstaycationing!!
- Next Brotherhood meetings (PsTuesdays)
- Planning staycation
- Stay in tents if you want (You can chill with the raccoons, be one with nature)
- Next PsTuesday!
- We’re going to Pstudy on Farrand!
- There’ll be games too! So come and chill with us!
- Future PsTuesday!
- Spaghetti cookoffs at Dylan’s, get recipes ready!
- Ask Dylan if you need him to buy stuff!
- Judges will pick the best pasta sauce!!
- Drum case stenciling – Done!
- Practice room cleaning/new window covers
- Making new practice covers next Sunday at 6:30pm in UMC!
- Practice room cleaning
- Sunday, Oct. 21st (in the morning) – will be posted on the calendar!
- BB Band Stand Maintenance
- Band Library Project
- This will be really similar to digitization!
- Alternating Mondays and Thursdays of every month
- Everybody come to at least one session please!
- Dates will be on the Kappa calendar/website soon
- Band Banquet
- If you want to help, talk to Carrie!
- Meetings will be tagged on to the end of service committee meetings (around 7pm)
- Refer to google doc here!
- Most importantly: Breakfast in Band with your Bros (and other B-related items)
- Hotel finalized. Thank you Stazie!!
- Fill out doodle poll on when to meet! Please!
- In group chat (if you want to join the committee, message Dylan!)
- Sometime Wednesday night via Google Hangouts
- Discuss goals for semester
- After initial meeting, we will meet on Thursdays (alternate with membership committee)
- Still working on a solid meeting schedule!
- Google Hangout this week to talk about a bunch of stuff
- CMEP’S, Kappa Kappa Pskate!
- Background research started into private scholarships!
- Stay up to date with Bennett!!
- Sign up in the Google Sheet if you want to join the meetings!
We then discussed our alcohol and hazing policies!
- Strict no hazing policy!!! Rule #10
- Alcohol/Controlled Substances
- Cannot endorse events with alcohol!
- If you want to look at the full form, google it! (Here is a link)
- Review Chapter policy
- At restaurants we should be able to drink IF we are 21+
- In Constitution, it does not state that we cannot drink with brothers in letters
- General: Unofficial vote, drink responsibly in letters (if 21+)
- Kappa PsClap unanimous decision
After the review of policies, we talked about earning more money through CSI!!!
- Up to $1000 for operational costs
- $200 for food
- $800 for other things: Shirts, scholarships for members that aren’t paying, etc.
- $3000 per year for travel (strictly lodging, ground transportation, flights)
- “It’s my money and I need it now!” – Gabi/Bennett
- CSI is “rad” and “cool”, “We should do it!” – Jesse, General Thumbs Up!!!!
- Gabi and Bennett will meet with a CSI rep as soon as possible
Here is a debrief of our suggestion box! (Which is right on this website!) And I wanted to say that if you do feel any concern at all or want to express something anonymously, please do! Your opinion is welcomed by the entire chapter!
- Go to this link!
- Write any question, comment or concern you have!
- Chances are somebody feels the exact same way!!
- They will never be punished! We are totally welcome to any and all suggestions!
We then voted on our one conditional letter!
- Matt Reynolds
- WE LOVE YOU MATT!! HOTSOUP
- Can we mandate a video of their band? (play at recital)
- Dr. Roeder has already approved
- Heads down vote!
- All those in favor, all opposed, abstentions?
- Overwhelmingly in favor vote! Matt will be officially moved to conditional status
And finally, we held a special elections for our Alumni Secretary Position!
- Josh moves to open the floor for nominations, Carrie seconds
- You have to be present this accept this nomination
- Brandon, declines
- Sully, declines
- Conner, declines
- Stazie, accepts
- Kaitlyn, declines
- Ryan, declines due to absence
- Gena, declines
- Spencer entertains a motion to close the floor for nominations, Colby motions to close the floor for nominations, Jordan seconds
- Spencer entertains a motion to open the floor for elections, Colby motions to open the floor for elections, Josh seconds
- 4 min. to present – 2 minutes for questions – 1 minute to discuss
- Heads down vote
- All those in favor of Stazie, all those in favor of no confidence, abstentions?
- Stazie is our new Alumni Secretary!!!! Congrats!
- Spencer entertains a motion to close the floor for elections, Josh motions to close the floor for elections, James seconds
Stay tuned for upcoming committee meetings this week!
And for your enjoyment . . .
Hello Brothers! I hope everybody’s first couple weeks of school have gone well and that we aren’t too burned out yet. We’ve started discussing a bunch of new plans including: new scholarship ideas, a new alumni secretary, and spending Bennett’s money! So, be sure to encourage your other brothers to subscribe to the website and be informed! Have fun with the start of committees!!
As always, you can check out the full meeting minutes and full exec minutes from earlier today! SKOBUFFS!
9/9/18 Chapter Minutes
9/9/18 Exec Minutes
- Shoutout to all the people who did the 6hr uniform checkout!
- Cat, Eric, Conner, Nate, Scott, and Gabi
- Shoutout to the Colorado Buffaloes! #SKOBUFFS (33-28)
- Shoutout to anyone who went to Nebraska for the game!
- Shoutout to anyone who signed up for the penpal program!…even if your penpal doesn’t accept your FB request
- We have the most people signed up!!!
- Shoutout to Conner for doing 3 Rockies games and doing corps!
- Top 10 people ever. . .of all time
- Shoutout to Spencer for making meetings effective/timely! (45 min)
- Conditional Letters are due today!
- Submit to Kappa email by midnight tonight so that Spencer can send to Roeder
- Sign the Personnel Report!
- Make sure everything is correct
- Sign up to work a concert reception!
- Andrea will post a FB link soon to sign up!
- Sign up for a game day clean up. Link is on the FB page. Do it or you hate Ralphie >=(
- Sign up to babysit Glory, our mascot!
- A link will be provided soon on the website!
- Share our social media with friends/family!
- Insta: kkyalphaiota
- Snap: kkyalphaiota
- If you want to send money somewhere, talk to Bennett/Nate
- Seriously…spend their money
- Go to District Day in Lincoln if you’re not in the GBMB!
- Go to PsTuesdays and bring all your friends! Look for events on the FB page!
- Dues are $100 if you participated in Rockies, $125 if you didn’t
- Payments can be taken today – Send to Bennett by the end of September!
Our committees have begun to start up and you can check out what they’re doing right here every other week!
- Camping plans ~$25 per person
- Thanks to everyone who came and ate Pizookies!
- This week, recruitment PsTuesday (Kapture Kapture PsFlag) with Jade/membership committee
- First meeting 9/15 at 6pm
- Another sign up to stencil drum cases (Going up this week) (in a day or two)
- Very excited about Kappa Kapture the PsFlag
- Reach out to other band people!!! (for new MC’s!!) Share here!
- Kappa Pskate for 10/14 (Entire rink for ourselves)
- Every other Thursday at 7pm
- Sign up for first meeting on new FB page
- Sign up here for concert receptions!
- Doodle poll will be sent out shortly. SKOBUFFS
- Ryan claps loudly above head
- Education to teach about what constitution is
- Needs to be in School House Rock format – Music video in progress
- Meeting times TBA
- Future group chat to fill out doodle poll
- We need new ritual stuff, we’re going shopping!
- Poll being sent out to when we can meet
- We are premiering our ritual at District to show off to all the other officers
- It needs to be gooooooood
- New Committees!
- Alumni Relations
- Chaired by Alumni Secretary (possibly Spencer or another volunteer)
- Focus on starting up newsletter on a regular basis
- Foundations of Alum Association
- Communications and Outreach
- Chaired by Scott
- Communicating with other chapters
- Organizing events
- Colonization Committee
- Chaired by Spencer
- DOB has still not gotten back to Spencer….
- Possibly colonize another school
- Scholarship Committee
- Chaired by Bennett
- Done online, remote access, purely discussion, we don’t need to meet
- If you want to chair your own committee, let Spencer know!!
- Talk about your own project, etc.
- If you want to sign up for any of these committees, sign up here!
We then held a special elections nomination process for the position of Alumni Secretary!
- Description of the position can be found here!
- Carrie opens the floor to nominations, Stazie seconds
- Josh nominates Brandon, accepts
- Gabi nominates Sully, accepts
- Dylan nominates Conner, accepts
- Ryan nominates Stazie, accept
- Josh nominates Kaitlyn, accepts
- Nate nominates Ryan, accepts
- Jesse nominates Hannah, declines
- Gabi nominates Gena, accepts
- Do the special call out to Josh if you want to be nominated!
- Josh closes the floor to nominations, David seconds
- IMPORTANT – NEXT MEETING: Entire election process/voting by paper
- At least 75% of chapter MUST be present to vote… so show up!! (PLZ)
- If you plan to run for the position, create a platform for the next meeting, send to Spencer, you’ll be asked questions, and we will vote as a chapter!
We then voted on the annual budget for the 2018-2019 fiscal year!
If you want the full budget, click here! Below is a recap of important items to note.
- We got a budget, it’s great
- Leftover from last year, starting with $4643 (we’re supposed to spend that)
- SPEND Bennett’s money
- Make peoples’ lives better in the School of Music
- $10000 min. to commission a piece
- We want our name up on the piece. Kappa4Life
- Create a separate account (savings)
- Ben Bouchard-Miller will start researching the entire process, etc.
- Newer composers will do stuff for free/less money!!!
- Reach out to composers in Colorado!
- Encouraging diversity in the composer we choose would be awesome!!
- $1000 spent last year
- Do we want to increase the amount?
- Could give to CU Honor Band senior to help pay for college?
- Communications/Outreach (Scott) to talk to local band directors
- Could put on audition packet to apply for scholarship
- Have to start now. Located on a Google form
- Include Laura Graham/Dr. McKinney in conversation
- New $1500 Budget – two $500 scholarships given out for band members just like last year, new $500 for incoming freshman
- Refer to Bennett for Scholarship Committee!
- Go to NatCon!!
- In Julyish and Oklahoma
- Really cramped hotel rooms
- PM Pins
- Return those!!
- $76 spent last year for new ones
- Financial Assistance
- Alum. Sec.
- New $100 budget for new position
- Pick one member at end of year to give a life membership!
- Scholarship for Jordan/Conner for doing 10 games the past two years
- Forgiving their dues
- Thank you so much y’all!!! Seriously…10 Rockies games…how do they do it?!
- $8403 given so far, still more to come!
- Thank you all for working!!! Thank you to Bennett for organizing! We made new friends with Mines!
- Pay your dues! $100 if you worked Rockies! $125 if you didn’t!
- Misc. Merch
- $400 new – we’re going to make bank at District
- 100 unused water bottles, sunglasses will be given out at band
- Gabi/Scott/Jesse will help out
- We’ll accept donations!
- We’re investing in hummus (NPOs and Investing?) SKOBUFFS
Here’s what we ended with!
If you can tell me how many “SKOBUFFS” there are on this post in person by next meeting, I’ll give you a prize next meeting. Hint: Include the one in this paragraph.
- Sign up for the MWD Penpal Program!
- Possible NatCon vouchers?
- Look on Google form on the NatCon page, description section
- Get points!!!
- Nate will be travelling to other chapters
- Future page to ride with Nate/see the country!! Reach out to Nate if interested!
- Jacob Coughlin from Nebraska is really cool…but SKOBUFFS
Here he is with some previous brothers!
Hey everyone, I apologize for the late posting of mini-minutes but I decided that getting sick was a better option for last night. I hope you all are getting through the semester great and hopefully not feeling like I am!
Let’s start off with some shoutouts!
- Conner, Nate, Spencer, Colby, Carrie, and Maddie helped cleaned practice rooms last week!
- Conner worked almost a total of 80 hours helping out with Rockies fundraising!
- Thank to everyone who helped with the Summer Music Academy and Chris Huls’ recital last week!
- Trevor started Fun Fact Fridays!
- Gabi met with Kristina and helped make some plans that will shape Kappa for the better!
- CU beat Texas State in our home opener (skoooo)
off to the PAC-12 championships
Some important announcements:
- If you don’t go by the name that is on your Kappa certificate or membership card, talk to Kristina! For a small fee (or nationals can even cover the fee), you can change your name.
- Dues will be due on September 24th. $135 for anyone who didn’t complete Rockies games, or $110 for anyone who did work at Rockies games. If you want $25 back, help Trevor with archives in the next coming weeks (three 2-3 hour sessions on Sunday Nights). Make sure dues are paid from last year ASAP!
- Conditional letters are due by September 17th. You must write a letter to the chapter to ask why you seek conditional status and what you plan to do to stay involved. On September 24th, each letter will be voted on and Dr. Roeder will give his seal of approval. Work is not a valid reason to go conditional!
- The Center for Student Involvement is hosting the Core Leadership Program, including sessions that will be held Tuesdays, 3:30-5:00pm starting September 19th or Wednesdays, 4:00-5:30pm starting September 20th. You get to attend an overnight retreat in Estes Park on October 14th-15th and it’s free! Registration closes on the 15th, so register/talk to Kristina for further concerns. Click here for registration info!
- A new Jurisdiction Committee will be created that will review the Constitution and clean up anything that we either don’t abide by or don’t need anymore. Nate will lead this standing committee over the next coming weeks. Commitment is important as this is a weekly ordeal!
- Carrie is creating a membership committee, in which you will help plan lessons for degrees/rituals, etc. Talk to Carrie if you’re interested!
- Spencer is helping begin the Alumni Association and is preparing to gauge interest among alumni.
- Trevor would love some input on snacks (opinions, dietary concerns, etc). He is also digitizing the scrapbook this year so make sure you are taking lots of photos. The Archive project will begin shortly on Sunday Nights, including scanning onto hard drives, snacks, and brotherhood.
- Andrew put reception sign ups on the Facebook group page. Conducting clinic will be on November 4th! A committee will be coming soon to further discuss CSO concerts. The tentative date for recital is December 9th, in which current brothers should complete this date rather than the later dates!
- Leo is planning for a Staycation retreat November 3rd and 4th, including a sleepover and midnight hike! This week’s KKPstuesdays will be at BJ’s for Pizookies!
- Maddie is beginning a signup sheet for cleaning the band room after games soon. Since we are not doing CU Band Day this year, we can take on a larger service project, so stay tuned!
- Gabi has adopted a mascot (as so generously donated by Carrie). Name suggestions are on the Facebook page. Check out the Facebook page for Snapchat usernames for streaks, and remember the longest streak at the end of the semester wins. The Instagram has been utilized and send Gabi photos so that your throwback thursday photos can be posted!
our mascot’s first C4C dinner ❤
We also voted on the budget this meeting. Check out the Google Drive for the full line-by-line item breakdown of the budget. The important things to note include:
- Starting Budget: $10,820
- Music Service (meaning money that benefits the College of Music such as tuba covers) was changed from $2,000-$2,500
- Commissioning Fund (meaning money that was stored away for future members to use to commission a piece) was changed from $1,000 to $1,500
- Travel Subsidies (what the chapter pays for travel to District/National events, including a possible per diem, hotel fees) was changed from $5,000 to $4,500.
We also quickly reviewed the calendar and highlighted some important dates:
- Band Banquet – November 12th
- Elections – November 26th
- Recruitment Week – October 31st to November 2nd, will include KKPstuesdays, Staycation, Conducting Clinic
Next week we will discuss the suggestion box and other fundraising activities such as Rockies.
Thank you all! Have a wonderful week!