Hello everyone! Hope everyone made it through the last week alright and had a nice relaxing weekend! The weather has been great and I hope you all have been taking advantage of this great fall weather! Let’s get started.
- Nate made a beautiful financial report! You can find this report on the website or by clicking here!
- Buffs won against Oregon State, 36-33!
- Ahnika provided the district with vegan food all weekend at District Days! Thanks to Tate and Ahnika for representing Alpha Iota at District Days this past weekend!
- Carrie drove all the way from home early this morning for our Kappa hike! Special thanks to her and Sully for showing up this morning for this hike!
Now for some announcements from your exec team!
- Mark your calendars for a Nov. 12 Skype-in meeting with the national president at 1pm! Note this change in the schedule!
- UNC’s Third Degree will be on Nov. 19 – attend if you’re interested!
- The mid-semester check-in was sent out today! Click here to complete the survey. Please complete the survey by next meeting!
- First Recruitment meeting is this Friday at 6:15! Encourage your section and studio, especially those who you believe would make a great membership candidate.
- Kappa Hike 2.0 is this Saturday at 10am. Please come!
- Scrapbook has been started! If you would like to help make a page or anything, feel free to log into the Shutterfly! Photos are still needed.
- Digitization was completed for the first time today! Stay posted for future days.
- Recital will be Dec. 9 at 10am!
- Vote on the Stravinsky event page for the best time to go this weekend!
- This week’s Kappa Kappa Pstuesday will be a dinner night! Stay posted for the Facebook event.
- We may be discussing the possibility of a larger brotherhood event! Dec. 2 looks like the best date, but stay posted. Let Leo know of any ideas if you would like!
- The next District Days will be Feb. 9/10 and will include aspects of ritual. Stay posted for later information!
We then broke up into lots of committees!
- Jurisdiction committee talked further about Section II today, changing some basic wording and also reassigning some duties to specific roles.
- Next week will focus on the election/amendment procedure in order to get ahead for the upcoming elections!
- Service talked about some ideas for themes for passed around. Our official band banquet theme for 2017 will be centered around Ralphie’s anniversary!
- Music committee talked about some logistics of conducting clinic. A signup is posted for conducting clinic downstairs! If you are interested in harassing people to sign up, let Andrew know!
- The music major committee discussed some recruitment ideas within the College of Music. They made a list of potential candidates and will be discussing membership with them. If you know a music major personally, encourage them to join!
- Brotherhood committee talked about our staycation. Dinner will start at 8ish and include a meeting, improv games, and midnight hike.
- The Houston committee gave an update as to our current situation. We have found one school that we are going to get in contact with and in future committees, we will be discussing the logistics of crowdfunding!
Some last minute announcements and notes!
- Come to the concert this Wednesday, support some of your brothers!
- NAfME’s soccer tournament will be next weekend and they need members to join a pep band! If you’re interested, contact Carrie.
- Financial reports are on the website!
- If you’re helping with ritual composition, Kristina will be contacting you this week, so keep on the lookout!
- We got the Road to Wisdom books today!
Thank you brothers for being great! See you next week.
Hey everyone! It has been quite the week this past week, which as Kristina and Dr. D have spoken about this week, it’s important to maintain a tight community. Thank you brothers for doing all you’ve done for the chapter and let’s continue to let this community thrive!
- Thank you to everyone who helped clean practice rooms last week! Additional thanks to Conner for helping organize it!
- Thank you to everyone who helped stack chairs and stands before the game yesterday and cleaning up afterwards!
- Thank you to everyone who helped finally finish building the chair racks!
- Thank you to everyone who has been uploading their photos to the Shutterfly!
- Thank you to Gabi with all their work with the practice rooms!
- Thank you to Leo for organizing such great Kappa Kappa Pstuesdays!
- Shoutout to Denver and Lexi for helping with the truck in marching band!
Now here are some announcements from your exec team!
- As a reminder, meetings are 15 minutes longer regularly. Since this wasn’t the expectation at the beginning of the year, it’s okay to leave early if necessary.
- Evan Thompson will be speaking to us at 1pm on 11/12! Remember that this meeting time has changed so make plans accordingly!
- If you’re interested in joining the group composing music for the ritual, see Kristina!
- UNC’s Third Degree is on 11/19 if you’re interested in attending!
- The Kappa Hike will be 10/15 at 9am! 2-3 people are still necessary to pick people up on campus! Post on the Facebook event page if you’re interested!
- IF YOU HAVEN’T DONE IT, DUE IT (Pay your dues ASAP to Bennett!)
- Conducting Clinic will be November 4th from 12-3pm! Registration is electronic so see Andrew for more info!
- Polls will be posted to the CSO Event pages for more info on finding a specific date!
- Send in photos for the band banquet slideshow as soon as possible!
- This week’s Kappa Kappa Pstuesday will be seeing Kingsman 2 at 9pm! Check out the Facebook page for more information.
- Band Banquet planning begins next week! Start thinking of themes and decorations.
- This Wednesday will be the marching band Kappa Kappa Psphoto after rehearsal! Come join us!
Afterwards, we had a discussion based on suggestion box comments. The first discussed Rockies.
- The Rockies fundraiser got us a ton of money for this year (44% of our budget) which was super helpful for lots of really cool things we can do as a chapter! However, the time commitment did get a little overwhelming with the weird rules that the coordinator kept throwing on the group
- The general consensus was that we should keep going through with this and emphasize the importance of commitment before signing up.
- By a unanimous vote, the Rockies fundraiser will continue next semester.
Next, we discussed another suggestion box comment about recitals and receptions.
- Receptions, especially towards the end of last year, had a very unbalanced amount of people which either led to overwhelming amounts of people or underwhelming amounts of people. With such a turnout, is this requirement necessary?
- General consensus: having lots of people with reception would be nice just to have in case of an emergency. It’s better to be overstaffed than understaffed.
- Recital is necessary for membership in Alpha Iota, but it appears that people treat this more as a chore rather than something as a chapter. Instrumentation seems off balanced with lots of instruments too.
- General consensus: Musicianship is important for KKY (considering it’s one of the pillars) and should be kept as a requirement. Instrumentation issues can be fixed with better organization.
- By a unanimous vote, the reception requirement was kept to one a year and the recital requirement was kept to one performance a year.
That’s all for this week! Hope you all have a great week and go buffs!
Hello everyone! Hope everyone survived the first part of midterms! Good luck on all your future midterms and let’s get started with this week’s minutes.
- Shoutout to everyone who went on the UCLA trip! You all sounded amazing and represented the buffs well after a tough loss!
- Shoutout to Helen for post Glory’s adventure through LA this weekend on Snapchat!
- Shoutout to Nate for getting all the shirts out in a timely manner! Additional thanks to everyone who helped Nate get these shirts/get them organized for distribution!
Some important announcements from your executive team:
- Since meetings have been taking a bit longer to finish, meetings will now officially end at 6:15. If you need to leave at 6, that’s fine, but please stay if you are able to!
- District Day is October 13th/14th in Kearney, NE! Talk to Kristina or Tate if you’re interested in going.
- If you have any UCLA photos, make sure to upload them in the Photos tab to both the UCLA Google Album and the Shutterfly for the scrapbook!
- If you’re interested in composing music to be played at rituals, talk to Kristina!
- There will be no meeting on November 19th, however, the meeting has been moved on November 12th. Executive will be at 12 and the regular meeting will be at 1. Evan Thompson might Skype in to discuss ritual, so don’t miss out!
- The Kappa hike was moved to October 15th at 9am! 2-3 people are needed to help pick people up around campus. Talk to Carrie if you’re interested!
- PAY YOUR DUES! Talk to Bennett about your payment plans or to finish paying off what you owe ASAP.
- Music majors should now start asking around to see who would like to conduct at conducting clinic! Start spreading the word and encourage people to come play music!
- This Kappa Kappa Pstuesday will be another pstudy session! Details will be on the Facebook page.
- Practice room cleaning is this Wednesday at 7pm, ran by Conner!
- Signup to babysit Glory here! There are no requirements, just take care of her!
We broke up into several committees today as well:
- Jurisdiction committee looked at the first half of Article II Section I of the constitution. Changes to be proposed include some language edits and duties of the secretary.
- Membership solidified the recruitment week activities!
- Tuesday: Anderson Farms, 7pm at College of Music for Carpool
- Wednesday: Service night, 7:30pm in the Vortex
- Thursday: Mixer night! Symphonic Band record listening
- Friday: Staycation! 8pm at the Sax Shack
- Service committee focused on the Houston high school band benefit! We will be looking into some crowdfunding and possibly matching our own funds to benefit a low-income school affected by the hurricanes.
- Music brainstormed some ways to get our music out into the world, and focused on looking at musical performances in the College of Music and Boulder, playing in retirement homes, and serenading a sorority!
Some additional announcements:
- Dr. Roeder asked Kappa to purchase music folders for the concert band! Bennett will be meeting with Dr. Roeder this week to discuss further logistics. This money will come out of the $2500 set aside at the beginning of the year.
Thank you all! Hope you all have a great week and go buffs!
Welcome back UCLA travelers! Meeting is still required and as normal today. If you’re too tired/have too much work and don’t want to come that’s fine, but it will count as an unexcused absence.
Hey brothers! Hope the first round of midterms hasn’t killed you all yet, or if you’re about to take midterms, good luck and make sure you take care of yourself!
- Congrats to everyone who performed in the Wind Psymphony and Psymphonic Band concert! Additionally thank you to all the brothers who came out to support!
- Thanks to Andrew for driving to Fort Collins to get band t-shirts! Additional thanks to Kristina, Conner, and Nate for sorting shirts and getting them ready for distribution!
- Thank you to Maddie for helping plan and make snack packs for the Washington and UNC pep bands!
- Maddie also thanks everyone who helped distribute snacks for the Washington pep band and cleaning the band room after the game yesterday!
- Allison took Glory along this week and attended the concert with Glory! Thank you to Allison for uploading Glory’s adventures for the last week.
Now for some announcements from your exec team:
- Announcements will be posted on a Powerpoint and will be projected as you come into the meetings! Pay attention to these announcements and see what’s up inside Alpha Iota.
- Pay your dues! Dues are either due in full by today or a payment plan must be set up! Talk with Bennett for more information.
- Trevor needs your photos still! Follow the link on this website for the information to upload to Shutterfly.
- Digitization will begin shortly after the football season ends so stay tuned for further info.
- Conducting Clinic will be 11/4 from 12-3!
- CSO Concerts will be Stravinsky on 10/20-22 or Rachmanioff on 11/17-19. Dates will be chosen as we get closer!
- The next Kappa Kappa Pstuesdays will be a pstudy session in the music library! Check out the Facebook page for more info.
- Sign-ups for game day cleanups can be found on the sign-ups tab! We still need more people!
- Cal will most likely bring a band and USC will bring around 80 people, so keep posted for further snack bag information.
- Conner will be leading the next practice room cleaning on October 4th at 7pm, come help serve!
- Keep an eye out for all the material coming from the exec team for the Midwest district! They have been meeting and planning really fun things for all our chapters, so it’s worth a look!
In addition, we granted conditional status to Jade Garcia, Jalen Bell-Syftestad, and Denver Hall.
We then broke into committees!
- Jurisdiction committee found 5 possible changes for Article I and will be focusing on Article II Section I for next week.
- Membership focused on more qualities for the ideal brother and discussed further recruitment week activities, like bringing a friend to Kappa Kappa Pstuesdays.
- Service focused on our fellow music majors and planned projects to help around jury time. Additional projects discussed included replacing the acoustic walls in the downstairs practice rooms and fundraising for high school bands in Houston.
- Music focused on what Kristina learned from her Strive Together talks last week, discussing our overarching goal of working to improve our own personal musicianship.
That’s all for this week! Good luck on all your midterms and have a great week! Good luck to everyone who will be going on the UCLA pep band trip next weekend as well!
Have pictures for the scrapbook? Upload them here!
1.) Go to Shutterfly.com
2.) Type in the Username: email@example.com
3.) Type in the password: strive4thehighest
4.) Click Upload next to My Photos
5.) Upload all of your amazing pictures!
This post can be quickly accessed through the photos tab on the menu bar.
Hope everyone had an amazing week! Midterms are coming up so make sure you take some time for yourself! Go for a hike, stay in bed, get lots of sleep, stay hydrated and make sure you are eating well!
- Ahnika is learning trumpet for Concert Band after a shortage of trumpets! Congrats to her picking up an instrument so fast and being a valuable asset to the Concert Band!
- Thank you to everyone who helped pass out snacks and water to the UNC band!
- Thank you to everyone who helped make snack packs and help build the chair stands last minute (also shoutout to Conner for getting tools and Maddie for helping plan everything so last minute)!
Some important officer report information:
- Pay dues! $135 total – must have a payment plan set up or be paid in full by 9/24! Talk to Bennett for questions and how to pay – he and Nate will accept cash, checks made out to Kappa Kappa Psi, and Venmo. If you helped with Rockies, your dues will be $110. Should you help Trevor in the digitization project for three 2-3 hour sessions, you will get $25 back! If you haven’t paid dues yet for the previous year, do that ASAP.
- Conditional letters are due at 11:59pm on September 17th (which is in like an hour so GET ON IT). Letters will be given to Roeder this week and upon his approval, be voted on during the 9/24 meeting. If you have extenuating circumstances, please talk to Kristina ASAP.
- Carrie will be doing the recruitment hike the morning of the Sunday after the Arizona game (October 8th). This tentative date will be made official later.
- Trevor needs photos for the scrapbook! Log in to Shutterfly with the email, firstname.lastname@example.org, using the password strive4thehighest.
- Look for a later post today for Reception sign ups! Thank you to Conner, Eric, and Helen for signing up last minute to help with the reception this Tuesday!
- Leo thanks everyone for coming to get pizookies last week! This week’s Kappa Kappa Pstuesdays will be at Macky for the Wind Psymphony and Psymphonic Band concert at 7:30!
- Maddie is planning on making more bags for Washington’s pep band this Saturday. Six people will be needed to make them, 6-8 people need to help distribute. Thank you to everyone who helped clean this week after the game, sign ups are here if you are interested to help clean the band room!
- Gabi thanks everyone for helping with Kappa Kappa Pstreaks! Keep them going. If you want to get usernames or add your own, add them here! We watched the video Gabi made for NatCon and there is so much to learn! The brothers that went to NatCon will host workshops after Kappa meetings to discuss what they learned starting next week. Additionally, submit photos to post to social media to Gabi!
- Ahnika had the opportunity to go to District Days in KU this weekend! She learned lots of valuable information pertaining to service and engaged in mock-chapter situations. The MWD will be commissioning a piece as well! For all the slides and important information, go to the MWD website!
We broke into committees for a couple minutes to discuss a bunch of cool plans for the future.
- In jurisdiction, Nate discussed the plan for the year. This semester will be exclusively for looking at the specifics of the Constitution while next semester will be spent revising. This week, Section I will be analyzed with a specific emphasis on Article VI.
- In membership committee, Carrie’s committee helped plan out Recruitment week:
- Tuesday – Chatfield/Anderson Farms Corn Maze
- Wednesday – Service night (Cleaning Practice Rooms)
- Thursday – CU Wind Symphony Concert and talk about the history of the bands and Kappa
- Friday – First night of Staycation! Carve pumpkins, costume party
- In brotherhood committee, Leo’s committee came up with more ideas for Kappa Kappa Pstuesdays – if you have more suggestions, let Leo know. More expensive brotherhood activities will take place soon, closer to finals week.
- In service committee, Maddie will be creating a regular schedule for practice room cleaning. She is taking suggestions for service projects in place of CU Band Day – small and large ideas are welcome!
- In music committee, Andrew discussed some CSO concert dates we could attend! Some include Stravinsky’s “The Firebird”, etc. More details to come!
We discussed some important suggestion box info!
- A suggestion asked that we maybe consider moving our meetings to another day other than Sunday.
- General Consensus – Sundays are okay, but weekdays are preferable. After Spring registration, a survey will go out to discuss meetings for next semester.
We voted on the pronouns/names of our mascot today! Meet Bantha II, or Glory Deborah McBufface, using she/her/hers pronouns! Sign up to help babysit Bantha by clicking here!
Bantha II being offered to Wheat Jesus/Glucifer
That’s all for this week! Thank you all and AEA!
Hey everyone, I apologize for the late posting of mini-minutes but I decided that getting sick was a better option for last night. I hope you all are getting through the semester great and hopefully not feeling like I am!
Let’s start off with some shoutouts!
- Conner, Nate, Spencer, Colby, Carrie, and Maddie helped cleaned practice rooms last week!
- Conner worked almost a total of 80 hours helping out with Rockies fundraising!
- Thank to everyone who helped with the Summer Music Academy and Chris Huls’ recital last week!
- Trevor started Fun Fact Fridays!
- Gabi met with Kristina and helped make some plans that will shape Kappa for the better!
- CU beat Texas State in our home opener (skoooo)
off to the PAC-12 championships
Some important announcements:
- If you don’t go by the name that is on your Kappa certificate or membership card, talk to Kristina! For a small fee (or nationals can even cover the fee), you can change your name.
- Dues will be due on September 24th. $135 for anyone who didn’t complete Rockies games, or $110 for anyone who did work at Rockies games. If you want $25 back, help Trevor with archives in the next coming weeks (three 2-3 hour sessions on Sunday Nights). Make sure dues are paid from last year ASAP!
- Conditional letters are due by September 17th. You must write a letter to the chapter to ask why you seek conditional status and what you plan to do to stay involved. On September 24th, each letter will be voted on and Dr. Roeder will give his seal of approval. Work is not a valid reason to go conditional!
- The Center for Student Involvement is hosting the Core Leadership Program, including sessions that will be held Tuesdays, 3:30-5:00pm starting September 19th or Wednesdays, 4:00-5:30pm starting September 20th. You get to attend an overnight retreat in Estes Park on October 14th-15th and it’s free! Registration closes on the 15th, so register/talk to Kristina for further concerns. Click here for registration info!
- A new Jurisdiction Committee will be created that will review the Constitution and clean up anything that we either don’t abide by or don’t need anymore. Nate will lead this standing committee over the next coming weeks. Commitment is important as this is a weekly ordeal!
- Carrie is creating a membership committee, in which you will help plan lessons for degrees/rituals, etc. Talk to Carrie if you’re interested!
- Spencer is helping begin the Alumni Association and is preparing to gauge interest among alumni.
- Trevor would love some input on snacks (opinions, dietary concerns, etc). He is also digitizing the scrapbook this year so make sure you are taking lots of photos. The Archive project will begin shortly on Sunday Nights, including scanning onto hard drives, snacks, and brotherhood.
- Andrew put reception sign ups on the Facebook group page. Conducting clinic will be on November 4th! A committee will be coming soon to further discuss CSO concerts. The tentative date for recital is December 9th, in which current brothers should complete this date rather than the later dates!
- Leo is planning for a Staycation retreat November 3rd and 4th, including a sleepover and midnight hike! This week’s KKPstuesdays will be at BJ’s for Pizookies!
- Maddie is beginning a signup sheet for cleaning the band room after games soon. Since we are not doing CU Band Day this year, we can take on a larger service project, so stay tuned!
- Gabi has adopted a mascot (as so generously donated by Carrie). Name suggestions are on the Facebook page. Check out the Facebook page for Snapchat usernames for streaks, and remember the longest streak at the end of the semester wins. The Instagram has been utilized and send Gabi photos so that your throwback thursday photos can be posted!
our mascot’s first C4C dinner ❤
We also voted on the budget this meeting. Check out the Google Drive for the full line-by-line item breakdown of the budget. The important things to note include:
- Starting Budget: $10,820
- Music Service (meaning money that benefits the College of Music such as tuba covers) was changed from $2,000-$2,500
- Commissioning Fund (meaning money that was stored away for future members to use to commission a piece) was changed from $1,000 to $1,500
- Travel Subsidies (what the chapter pays for travel to District/National events, including a possible per diem, hotel fees) was changed from $5,000 to $4,500.
We also quickly reviewed the calendar and highlighted some important dates:
- Band Banquet – November 12th
- Elections – November 26th
- Recruitment Week – October 31st to November 2nd, will include KKPstuesdays, Staycation, Conducting Clinic
Next week we will discuss the suggestion box and other fundraising activities such as Rockies.
Thank you all! Have a wonderful week!